Fantasy Fish Pinata
Fantasy Fish Pinata
Skill Level: (Kids 4, Adult 3 - 1 being the easiest level)
Time to Complete: 45 minutes to mold, 30 minutes to paint, plus drying time
- ACTÍVA Celluclay Original Gray
- 12" Latex balloon
- Heavy string
- Serrated Knife (optional for pinata)
- Acrylic paints
- Paint brush
- Cup of water
- Newspaper (to protect work area)
- Large zip top plastic bag or mixing bowl
- Long pin or needle (for pinata)
- Rolling pin
- Plastic wrap
ACTÍVA Celluclay is an instant papier-mache. It replaces messy newspaper strips and wheat paste with easy-to-mold material mixing with water. When dry, it can be drilled, carved, sanded and sawed. Create this festive water creature, fill with candy and toy trinkets and use as a pinata for your child's next birthday. Or use it as a colorful addition to your home decor.
Tie a string around the tied end of the balloon armature to allow even drying and if using as a pinata. Hang to dry after Celluclay has set up about 30 to 60 minutes. Mix Celluclay with water in a mixing bowl or plastic zip top bag. Warm water mixes quicker. Knead mixture until clay resembles stiff dough with no dry spots. Mixed Celluclay in a sealed plastic bag will keep indefinitely at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Inflate a balloon with hot air. Use a 12" balloon size for a pinata, or any size as desired. Tie a string onto end of balloon neck to hang model to dry.
- Mix Celluclay, following tips below and package instructions
- Lay out side-by-side two sheets of plastic wrap so that size is larger than inflated balloon. Place mixed Celluclay in center of wrap and use rolling pin to flatten into a large freeform shape, big enough to completely cover inflated balloon. Cover with more plastic wrap and use rolling pin to flatten Celluclay to an even thickness about 1/4" thick. Allow Celluclay to dry until surface can be indented with a fingertip when pressed. Discard top plastic wrap sheets.
- Carefully peel off a small (3-5") section of Celluclay and lay over balloon. Gently pat onto balloon is covered, using dampened finger in cup of water to seal and smooth seams together. Save leftover Celluclay.
- Use scissors to cut remaining Celluclay to form tail fin, fins, mouth and eyes as shown. Smooth seams to connect each piece onto fish surface so each detail will stay in place.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes so fish will maintain shape when suspended. Use string to hang balloon to allow even air drying. This will take approximately 24 hours or longer if humidity is high.
- Use paint of your choice to paint fish as desired or refer to photo to paint.
- For pinata, insert long pin or needle into fish to pop balloon. Use serrated knife to cut three sides of a 5" square in bottom of fish to make a flap. Fill fish, then push flap back in to close opening. Loosely tape flap closed.
- Cut off string if not using as a pinata.